FREE UK DELIVERY | 'EXCELLENT' ON TRUSTPILOT
Home / Articles / How to Put Out Electrical Fires
How to Put Out Electrical Fires

How to Put Out Electrical Fires

Electrical fires are devastating, usually due to faulty sockets or malfunctioning appliances in overloaded extensions

For that reason, LifeSafe has tips on how to put out an electrical fire.

Power On or Off?

Electrical fires tend to start when a device has been overloaded when too much electricity is flowing through the sockets.

Taking steps to ensure you never suffer an overload can go a long way to preventing an actual fire.

To start with, just because extensions can fit multiple plugs in, it doesn’t mean you should.

Check the lead’s rating to see what it can handle; most stand at 13 A, but some may be lower than 10 A.

Check the user manual or use Google to find out product details if it doesn’t say on the device itself.

If your plug-ins go over this limit, you are in danger of overloading the extension.

Similarly, don’t ever plug-in multiple extension chords to one another. It isn’t a ‘life hack’ – it’s just an easy way to start a fire.

The minute you see a device on fire, immediately unplug it from the mains, if you can safely do so.

For example, if your toaster is on the fritz and ignition occurs, check the power source. To stop the flames spreading further, turn off the power.

If you can’t safely switch the specific device off, or if the fire originates from something installed directly into the wall, then turn the mains off.

Home Fire Extinguishers

Never use water on electrical fires. Water is conductive and using it will add the risk of electrocution as well as the fire hazard.

If you’re not sure whether the appliance is live or not, it’s best to be cautious and assume it is.

However, there is a household item that can go a long way in helping to smother an electrical fire.

Covering the affected device in baking soda will block the oxygen flow, thus preventing further burning.

Specific ones are needed if there is live electricity, as some may contain liquids that could conduct it.

However, if the power is off, a fire extinguisher or fire blanket can be used. This will have the same effect as the baking soda; limiting the oxygen so the burning stops.

Another source of electrical fires when power chords are worn. It allows electricity to flow out of the wiring and on to flammable materials.

Don’t attempt to repair frayed chords unless you are a professional electrician.

When charging electronic devices overnight, ensure they are not near your sleeping area. Older or faulty equipment can easily catch fire, so keep them clear of areas that contain fabric and soft furnishings.

Electrical Fire Safety

Upgrade Your Home Fire Safety

Small electrical fires can be handled by yourself. However, you need to make sure you are using the right equipment before you attempt to do so.

LifeSafe has the perfect solution.

Our cutting edge fire safety product the Stay Safe 5-in-1 Fire Extinguisher. It’s a 335ml aerosol extinguisher, lightweight, and compact, fitting in most kitchen draws and cabinets.

Industry experts say it is an effective fire extinguisher to tackle unexpected fires in your home.

Stay Safe uses LifeSafe's patented, eco-friendly formula, so there is no toxic residue and it’s immensely easy to clean up.

If you want to ensure the safety of you and your loved ones, take your home fire extinguisher to the next level.